Sunday, November 26, 2006

Night out - Night in

NIGHT OUT
Last night Lisbeth was at a 'Soirée Cabaret' in the village hall (Salle des Fête). It was some sort of annual event for the local cultural association and involved a sit-down meal and entertainment. I know that it sounds very fancy, but as this is ‘France Profond’ I suspect that there was not a great deal of dressing up. That’s one of the nice things about life in the French countryside: it’s very relaxed and you can wear pretty much anything.
NIGHT IN
I stayed in to prepare something a bit different for my talking practice this weekend and chose the book Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. Now, I know it's been a best seller and all that, but I must be honest and say that I was glad when I'd finished it. It did keep me reading so there is clearly some pace to it, however, I found the two stories a bit forced and the climax scenes not clearly written. The drama was over dramatized yet not all that dramatic. I think I just don't like her style very much. On the up side, the book is fat. I like that in a book. Also, the level of research was undeniable and I know that Lisbeth is now hooked on French history of the 11th and 12th Centuries (the period of one of the stories in Labyrinth.) To that end, we are about to look at Montailleou: Cathars and Catholics in a French Village 1294-1324. So it's not all bad news!

No comments: