Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ovine

One of Lisbeth's friends referred to me as her "ovine friend" This is such a nice term, don't you think? It's an adjective (obviously) meaning:

"of or pertaining to or of the nature of or characteristic of a sheep or sheep"

Now isn't that interesting: "characteristic of 'a' sheep or 'sheep'? We are singular and plural. Mmmmm..... I think I'll write one of my poems about that in my next post. Although I do have things stacking up that I want to talk about: There's the article about sheep poo being made into paper. Yes, really! And then I want to talk about 'Suispont'. There just aren't enough hours in the day.................

I'm still inside, if you're wondering? Perhaps I could drum up some 'Support Monsieur Mouton to go outside' comments to get Lisbeth moving?

P.S. 'Ovine' comes up as a spelling error. Left click and it suggests: Irvine, oven, Evin, bovine and Ivonne. Right click suggests: bovine, vine, opine and o vine. Fascinating, or what!

2 comments:

Andy Bridle said...

Bonjour, Monsieur Mouton. Check one more reader for your delightful blog, from le pays de Galles, where many of your cousins live happily, if slightly radioactively.

Cordialement,

Andy

Soyez joyeux, parce que la chanson n'a aucune fin

Monsieur Mouton said...

Hey Andy (writing under your own name) Bridle. Thank you for your kind comments. (And the bit in French.) I'm flattered indeed. Then how could I not be when your blog is so stunningly advanced in the brain department? As a mere sheep, I can only marvel at its verbal dexterity.

However, as I would like to cultivate such depth myself, can I detect in its polished unsheepy structure, something perhaps resembling an ovine sensibility: inscrutably singular yet with a hint of trenchant plurality?