Sunday, April 22, 2007

Slowing down and planting shrubs

It's been a more relaxing day today and Lisbeth has really slowed down. (That is, if you count only working from 8 - 11 am and then from 3.30 - 7 pm, slowing down!) At 11 am, she planned to take her morning coffee and once-a-week croissant upstairs to her bedroom and relax on her bed, with the windows open, and listen to the Archers Omnibus! (I know, culture bypass, or what! Although she doesn't have a TV so I suppose a bit of radio soap is acceptable. And there is all that stuff about Brian and Jennifer and Brian's son by another woman who's now got cancer and might die and she wants him and Jennifer to look after the child if she dies.........................)

Anyway, I digress. After making sure that she just has time to boil the kettle and heat the milk by eleven 'o' clock, (She gets the croissant and bread from the Bar over the square.), at five minutes to 11, the gas bottle runs out!!!!!! Imagine......... She flies past me and trundles a new one from the back room through to the kitchen and does the necessary disconnecting and reconnecting. (She keeps a tool for this job hanging in the kitchen.) I think I saw her going up the stairs with her tray around five past 11, missing only the first few minutes. (We're an hour ahead in France, if you're wondering!)

She seems to have enjoyed this and went back after lunch to read her book and have a rest for an hour. This is so unusual for her. I hope it's done her some good.

As I write this post, it's 8.45-ish at the end of another beautiful sunny day. Lisbeth is on the terrace with a glass of wine (only the second since she arrived) and some French bread and nice cheese. I can hear the birds that roost in her bamboo twittering as they settle for the night and the song of a blackbird, just outside the door. In the distance I can hear a cuckoo and there is the smell a BBQ, from the neighbour, wafting into the house through the open windows.

As the light fades and the blackbird continues to sing, I can't imagine a nicer place to be.

P.S. In case you're wondering what she was doing today, she was planting more shrubs: dug holes this morning; planted them and watered this evening. She's also re potted a box bush that is going to be pruned to a ball on a stem. (At the moment it's more like a small blob on a stem. I'll see if I can get a photo when I finally get outside.)

No comments: