Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Singing with Leaves

I see my last post was on Monday. I can't believe that the time has gone that quickly.

First of all I'm on fig duty: keeping an eye on the figs that are ripening for Lizzie. Second, I've been helping her with Facebook as her web skills aren't as good as mine. Third, I've been busy with singing practice.

Now before you start wondering what a sheep is doing singing, let me tell you that it is all the rage here. It's early days, of course, so I have been practicing breathing. That's really important if you want to sing well. You have to get a lot of air into your lungs by depressing the diaphragm and getting good 'rib swing'.

Watching figs ripen and doing breathing practice is a good combination. I breathe in as one leaf falls, then make a round baa-ing sound for the duration of a further 2 leaf falls; then three, then four, and so on. Or, to exercise my diaphragm, I hold my breath for one leaf, two leaves, three leaves etc. Of course I give myself permission to breathe if there is a lull in leaf fall, or I might die. Well you've got to be practical about these things.

The title of this post: Singing with Leaves, is a bit like Dancing with Wolves. It's a funny old world!

1 comment:

Monsieur Mouton said...

Thank you Keithyd for being my spelling backstop - as always. I'll get there. Someone told me you were editing books for folk, now. I'll bet you're really good at it. Thanks again.
Mouty