Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tapping or Tupping?

Yesterday I mentioned this 'tapping' thing that Lisbeth is doing. I wasn't sure, at first, if I'd misheard? It sounded like tupping which, as far as I am aware, is about copulating (with a ewe). (I've put this last bit in brackets, because it is written like that in the dictionary definition.) Does that mean it isn't obligatory - the ewe bit?

In looking up 'tupping' I came across a 'tupping crayon'. This is a kind of big marker pen that is strapped on to the ram (in a sort of harness) for him to use when he is running around with a field full of ewes. Then, when he mates with a ewe, he marks her at the same time, so that the farmer can see where he's been. I suppose the harness saves him time as he won't have to keep stopping, asking the name of the ewe, noting it in a little black book, etc! Thank goodness you humans aren't inflicted with this same harness mechanism!

Anyway, Lisbeth says that tapping is a way of releasing negative emotions. She seems pretty good to me so I'm not sure why she thinks she needs to do it but - hey - you know the female human gender and stuff like that.

Did you know that you can't use the term female (femelle) in French to refer to a women? It is a term reserved for animals only. And while we're back to animals, I noted that the dictionary of veterinary terms added the sentence "Joining is the same thing" to their definition of 'tupping'.

Well Lisbeth has spent much of the day tupping bits of paper together with glue to make a birthday card for a friend. Ah.........bless.............

No comments: