Sunday, November 16, 2008

Boswell: from Gosling, to Goose, to Celebrity

Regulars who have been with me for a while will remember that, back in May 2007, I first met, and introduced to my readers, Boswell, when he was a mere cute gosling. In the months following, several poems were written to, and for him, by my good self. The Goose Engine (repeated below) was the first, and took its title from the work that Mark, Boswell's owner and IBM programmer, had been doing on a site for the music of Philip Glass, called The Glass Engine.

However, after a short time, Boswell became ill with a rare form of cancer and had to go into hospital for an operation. I kept in touch with Mark and wrote Boswell a poem of encouragement followed by a welcome home poem for after his operation. (I must admit to penning one in case things didn't turn out well but, thankfully, haven't had to use it.)

Then in November of 2007, I received a photo, from Mark, of Boswell all grown up and penned another update, followed by more news about Boswell's sister, Woglinde. Finally, in August 2008, Boswell began his own blog, over a year since I had spoken about him being a budding blogger in The Goose Engine

Now, Boswell has become quite a celebrity in his own right. He has been featured on TV, with Mark of course, so I will be posting this video tomorrow.

I hope you will forgive a swelling of pride in this old Mouton's breast, when I remind you that I had predicted, back in May 2007, that Boswell would be a very fine blogger. I have taken the liberty of reprinting it below:

The Goose Engine

Boswell is from IBM
(leaning to the left)
Trying hard his height to gain
but isn't very deft.

Wants to be a blogger
when he's tall and straight
Fears he will discover
he's developed late.

Listens now to Philip Glass
in wood and leafy glade
(But is he just inertial mass
sitting in the shade?)

The IB-MUS guys think he's cool
and never fly-by-night
He's not just anybody's fool
despite his challenged height.

So don't go goofing off outside
with old Canadian geese
Let cool programmers be your guide
where music's the set piece.

Keep growing tall and filling out
so you can blog with ease
And be the smartest goose, no doubt,
to have web expertise.

5 comments:

Andy Bridle said...

Jolly heartening to read a good-news story about a goose, MM. Particularly at this time of year. I bet geese look forward to Xmas even less than I do.

Monsieur Mouton said...

I am totally in agreement Mr B. I hope my readers will think twice about eating goose this Christmas after reading about, and then watching the video of, Boswell.

I'm sorry to hear that you have reservations about the Festive Season, Mr B. The good lady of the house, here, is quite a fan of it all; only because it involves sharing food, drink and more importantly, time, with friends.

We send you our felicitations
Mouty

Anonymous said...

I love Bos! I hadn't seen that photo of him as a young gos before. Super handsome! Thanks for posting. :)

XOXOX

Flapper the Duck & human

Monsieur Mouton said...

Hello Mr flapper Duck
Thanks for getting in touch. He is rather fetching - in a leaning sort of a way - isn't he. It's good to see you in his list of friends. As you will have noted from the poem, Boswell and I go way back. Let's hope he stays well.
Mouty

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!