Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Why me, not her?

One of Lisbeth's friends has asked why I am writing this blog as opposed to Lisbeth. Good question. She did actually start one but said that couldn't find a 'tone' for it or a 'voice' she was happy with, so after several posts, she deleted it. This was all back in November last year and I think it was called 'Talking Practice'.

Her second attempt found her uncertain as to its purpose: a daily journal about how she was feeling or a diary of what she was doing. She appeared to favour the latter and wrote quite a bit about me as I had not long been over here and had just moved into my winter quarters. However, she deleted this attempt, as well, and gave it up as a bad job.

So then I started to write. Now you may not believe it, but you're probably better off with me than with Lisbeth. She has a tendency to do too much depth: you know, what's going on inside, how she's feeling (plus a bit of analysis for good measure). Whereas I can have a more detached view of her life and am full fat free to write about whatever takes my fancy.

So it works well: Lisbeth gets on with her life and isn't encouraged to dwell too much on her feelings; I am free to record, to comment, to offer advice and to have fun doing it.

No comments: