Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Homophonic Slip?

It's been pointed out (by a kind reader) that I made a spelling mistake in my last post. Although I will admit to it, I must remind my readers that I am a sheep, so errors of spelling and/or grammar are to be expected, from time to time. Indeed, that's why this blog is called Talking Practice: I'm learning to speak human.

However, what I'm discovering is that humans have little tricks up your sleeve for unsuspecting sheep. Talking isn't the same as writing and, to me, Beatles and Beetles sound the same. So to boost my moral, I have chosen to reframe this 'spelling mistake' and think of it more as a 'homophonic slip'. Words are called 'homophones' if they sound the same when you say them, but have different meanings or derivation or different spellings. Merriam-Webster Dictionary gives the example: to, too and two. There's also bear and bare and my humble example: Beetles and Beatles.

I feel better about it now. I've also learned a new word and I like it very much. (N.B. Lisbeth says I'm to be careful about the spelling of homophonic.)

No comments: