Friday, September 19, 2008

Wheltering Whim-whams

Thank you, Mr A Geyser, for this lovely phrase gleaned from your Sunday 7th comment.

A whim-wham, I've discovered, is a whimsical object. I like whimsical objects. According to Worldwide Words you can use 'whim-wham' when you don't really want to answer a question (that a child might ask, for example) or to create a whimsical idea: "a whim-wham for ducks to perch on, a whim-wham for a treacle mill, and a whim-wham to wind the sun up."

I am certainly somewhat whimsical, myself: a sheep having talking practice. I don't really welter in anything, though, (other than fears of disappearing down a black hole). As I've already set out my case for being eponymous, I like the idea of my being an eponymous whim-wham.

If I were in a more light-hearted mood, I might think that the Hadron Collider could sound a bit whimsical: creating black holes that might suck up the earth. We could then call it a 'whim-wham to swallow the earth'?

2 comments:

Andy Bridle said...

Oh no, MM, they've gone and broken the LHC! And it's barely out of its wrapping paper. I told them to be careful with it. Well, they won't be having another one, they'll just have to see if they can mend it. Maybe some gluons and superstring...

Monsieur Mouton said...

I know, a bit of a damp squid whim-wham, if you ask me. I love the idea of using gluons and superstring.