Sunday, September 16, 2007

I think, therefore I am a sheep sculpture

Well now. It's been a bit of a special day for me and for that, I am indebted to Andy B: Mr Occasional Stirrings. Special because? Because he has taken the time to write a lengthy and in-depth comment to my Thursday post. In that post, I was pondering the idea that I might be a boltzmann brain. In his comment, Andy B explains very succinctly (and amusingly) why, and how, I can "rest easy" in the knowledge that I really am a sheep sculpture and that I really do blog. Isn't that nice of him to take the time?

So if I really am a sheep sculpture and I really do blog, then this is the real world and I am in it: thinking and being (and blogging). Exciting stuff for an ovine mind (and very comforting). Thanks, Andy B.

That being said, I would like to hold on to the essence of my being some sort of cosmic entity. (I am stardust, after all.) Also, it is a little disappointing to discover that you're not an entity (like a boltzmann brain) that came into being as the result of some chance fluctuations in the universe, because that sort of thing sounds so romantic and mysterious. So........... I was wondering if my cosmic roots could be traced through the word 'ovine'?

Let us suppose, for the sake of argument, that the word 'ovine' is the result of some sort of verbal corruption over the years. Suppose before 'ovine' the word had been 'dovine'. Then, even earlier, the word had been 'divine'? If that sounds anything like a reasonable posit, then one could argue, that this definition captures what it's like to be me:

"of such surpassing excellence as to suggest divine inspiration."

No comments: