Friday, September 28, 2007

Facebook?

What's all this with the 'mini feeds' and 'stories' on Facebook? "John is jointing a chicken", "Jane is eating a marmalade sandwich"? This person has updated their photos; this person has joined/left this or that network, changed their interests or left their wife! OK, I don't know if people say that they've left their wife, but I suppose they could.

I can see why it might be seductive to chronicle your life on the web. Hey, I blog, so I know something of what that's about. But the question is: are you spending a good portion of your life commenting on it?

I know I said, in a previous post, that there should be a 'sheepbook'. However, I'm not sure about that, now. I think the ovine thing in relation to sheep is really important. We are both singular and plural. I'm sure that affects how we think. And we flock. That's probably important, too.

Let's take the word face. I've selected the following from an exceedingly long list of definitions in Rhymezone for your delight and delectation:
  • noun: the act of confronting bravely
  • noun: the side upon which the use of a thing depends (usually the most prominent surface of an object)
  • noun: the general outward appearance of something
  • noun: status in the eyes of others
  • noun: the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear
  • noun: a part of a person that is used to refer to a person
  • noun: a surface forming part of the outside of an object
  • noun: the expression on a person's face
  • verb: turn so as to expose the face
  • verb: be opposite
  • verb: cover the front or surface of
  • verb: turn so as to face; turn the face in a certain direction
  • verb: be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
Then there's book
I have chosen the following from another quite long list of definitions:

  • noun: a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone

  • If I select one from the first list and add it to the one I've already selected from the second list, then we could have a definition that reads as follows: Facebook = A part of a person used to refer to a person [together with] A compilation of the known facts regarding ... someone.

    And there you have it. Let's face the book and live a mediated life.

    No comments: