Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wait not, want not?

If life is like huge play, then I don't feel as if I figure much on the stage of life. I experience myself as more of a 'bit part' in the life of the lovely Lizzie. I feel as if my place on the veranda is like the wings, so to speak, watching and waiting.

Hmm.......I understand the watching bit but I'm not too sure, now I come to write this, what I'm waiting for: waiting for visitors; waiting for talking practice; waiting for the figs to ripen; waiting to move into my winter quarters?

A definition of waiting is:

· noun: the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something)

· adjective: being and remaining ready and available for use
Waiting doesn't sound much fun, does it? If one is waiting, it sounds as if one isn't actually doing anything or enjoying being in the present moment because all the focus is on some future event, which may or may not happen. That can't be good.

I can see that I need to reconsider my role in my life.

Let's suppose I change my role from a bit-part to the main character. (If I'm not the main character in my life, then I don't know who is!) In this scenario, I could stop seeing myself as waiting in the wings, but moving onto the stage and becoming a full participant in the mise en scene. Then I can play out my role in any way that I consider appropriate. Things will still happen around me, but they will be tangential to my sense of being where I am at this present moment. And, I can write myself content, if I choose. Can't I?

Hmmm.......................Wait not. Want not?

No comments: