Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mirror Neurons and Mirror Newerons

After yesterday's (after midnight) post about talking with Bob, I've been looking up Mirror Neurons, as you would expect. It's a bit tricky for my ovine brain, but as far as I understand it, they are called mirror neurons because if an animal or a human does an action (which fires certain neurons in their brain), then the same neurons are fired in the brain of the observer, as if they were actually doing the action that they are observing. Cool stuff, eh?

Apparently, it kind of explains how empathy works and it is thought that they fire more strongly in women than men, giving some credence to the view that women are more empathetic than men. It doesn't say anything about sheep, though.

I said to Bob that I didn't really understand it all and he was really nice about it. He said that I would learn. So what I'm doing is waiting for Bob to do some action and then I can notice when my mirror newerons fire. Isn't life exciting!

No comments: