Sunday, May 27, 2007

From a gosling to Suprematism

So how did I get from a gosling to Suprematism? Easy!

If you've been following me, you'll know that I've recently done a poem about Boswell (the gosling) from IBM entitled The Goose Engine. We got to the gosling through IBM because Lisbeth really liked the site (created at the IBMUS lab in the USA) through which you can listen to the music of Philip Glass via the Glass Engine and Lisbeth had contacted one of the programmers to say how inventive she thought it was. (Boswell was this programmer's favourite gosling, by the way.) Before that, my post drawing readers' attention to the Glass Engine site, generated a comment from one of my regulars expressing surprise (yet delight) regarding my taste for minimalist music. Are you with me so far?

OK. I replied to this comment that I felt myself to be somewhat of a minimalist mouton because of my monochronal hue (different shades of white). Well......... in my talking practice with Lisbeth, later in the week, this white thing came up in conversation and she mentioned a painter called Kasimir Malevich who did a painting which was just different shades of white, like me. How cool is that? Apparently, he's a Suprematist. (No, that's not someone who makes room-saving rugs, but a serious artist!)

So before I can talk more about my minimalist contribution to art, I need you to have a look at this important painting. It's called: White Square on White (1918) by Kasimir Malevich (1878-1935). oil on canvas. 78.7 x 78.7cm. The Museum of Modern Art, New York.

I'll continue tomorrow.

No comments: